Categories:Articles incorporating text from the 1913 Catholic Encyclopedia with Wikisource reference,
1143 establishments in Europe,
World Heritage Sites in Germany,
Cities in Schleswig-Holstein,
1140s establishments in the Holy Roman Empire
A city of north-central Germany northeast of Hamburg; a major Baltic port and industrial center, the present city dates from 1143 and was the leading town of the Hanseatic League after its designation as a free city in 1226; it retained that status until 1937.